Chapter 50 Newsletter
60th Anniversary 1960 - 2020
I hope that our members and their families are healthy and staying safe during these challenging times. A lot has changed since our last newsletter. The chapter board and committee chairs are continuing to plan and implement ASIS activities. We are still developing activities that can be accomplished safely during this pandemic, and planning for events for when this world event is over. Please stay connected and informed while we work through these difficult times and stay safe.
Bill Carroll (Chapter Vice Chair), Senior Investigator, AT&T Asset Protection hosted our March 5th luncheon discussing major security upgrades recently made the Entertainment Services facility located in Mission, Kansas and out of which AT&T Uverse, DTV and AT&T TV operations provide television services to the nation. This facility is considered a cash cow to AT&T producing income for the company in the range of $10 to $15 million an hour. Bill covered the process through which the security upgrades were proposed and changed to fit budget restraints. The attendees were given a tour of the operations in the building by a senior engineer within the video operations center of the facility.
Greater Kansas City Award deadline is 30 April. Please look at the below to make a nomination.
Kansas City Chapter Awards; 30 April deadline (Link: KC Awards)
i. Thomas R. Meyers Award
ii. Security Professional of the Year
iii. Security Officer of the Year
Richard Dunn CPP
KC ASIS Chapter Chairman
NEWS FROM CHAPTER COMMITTEES
ASIS FOUNDATION LIAISON
Deadline for the following grants and scholarships have been pushed to 30 April.
- ASIS International Public-Private Partnership Grant in honor of Matthew Simeone; Deadline 30 April (Link: Scholarship and Grants)
- ASIS International Foundation Scholarships; Deadline 30 April (Link: Scholarship and Grants)
i. Career Development Scholarships
ii. Career Development Scholarships
iii. Law Enforcement Liaison Certification Scholarships
iv. MLC Military Certification Scholarships
v. IFPO Certified Protection Officer (CPO) Scholarships
vi. IFPO Certified in Security Supervision and Management (CSSM) Scholarships
ASIS COUNCIL LIAISON
- ASIS Women in Security - Has been cancelled
- All Certification study sessions have been cancelled and will continue on a limited “basis” by email and Zoom, contact Mike Betten, firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
- The Chapter will be awarding a complimentary GSX Pass to the chapter member that brings in the most new members to the chapter. This is in addition to the ASIS International Member Challenge (Member-Get-A-Member) See details
- ASIS WIS Award opens 15 APR – Please contact Angela Joplin or a board member if you would like to nominate a KC-ASIS member for the award. See details
- Working with KC ASIS WIS committee to combine for an event.
Chapter Historian –
- Attached is the newsletter from ten years ago, March 2000. There is a lot of interesting information and fun to see how things have changed. One item of note is, “The chapter debated and passed a resolution establishing a benevolence fund. The fund provides a $1,000 grant to Private Security Officers’ families in the event they are killed in the line of duty. The fund will be placed in a interest bearing account and will be replenished to the $1,000 level by the chapter, if necessary.” Does anyone remember this fund or have more information about it? Click the link to read the full newsletter: March 2000 Newsletter.
We are still looking for Chapter Committee Chair volunteers. If you are interested contact a board member or email email@example.com. Click Here for volunteer opportunities.
Mentorship Program Committee
Please welcome our newest chapter members:
Steve Cira Authentik Systems
Michael Monahan, CPP Burns & McDonnell
Heather Ramos Sprint
Scott Roe Energy Compliance & Security Innovations
Richard Wilson American Eagle Outfitters
Austin Gutierrez GWFS
Scott Delk Boon Edam
Troy Davis Isle of Capri
Sara Henry Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency
Brian Paul Ballard DHS/CISA/ISCD
Alyson Estes Isle of Capri Casino
Doug Head, he was voted in as an Associate Member of the Metro Chiefs and Sheriffs Association to serve as ASIS Greater Kansas City Law Enforcement Liaison.
Click Here for February Chapter Financials
Security Trivia and Networking Event - Postponed
This event is being moved to a later date in the Fall.
COVID-19 and Security Webinar - April 7, 2020, 11:00 - 1:30 PM
We are in the process of partnering up with KC InfraGard to host a Webinar Panel to discuss the impact of COVID-19 on Security, focusing on Kansas City. Click Here For More Information
Cannabis Security - May 7, 2020, 11:00 - 1:30 PM
Frontier Justice at the Lees Summit location. See FULL details by clicking on the link: TBD
Physical Security Showcase & Law Enforcement Luncheon - Postponed
The Physical Security Showcase committee is working with the board to move this event to October.
Click Here to See All Coming Events